The Last Monologue of Dr. Faustus


The Last Monologue of Dr. Faustus
with the modern perspective of Bhagat Singh




    Q.  Read this article by Bhagat Singh. In light of the arguments made by Bhagat Singh in this article, can you re-write last monologue of Doctor Faustus?




Bhagat Singh was a realist. In light of the arguments made by Bhagat Singh in the article as well as with the reference of “Bhagat Singh” edited by K. C. Yadav and Babar Singh which provides a useful understanding of Bhagat Singh and his persona, here is the last monologue of Doctor Faustus with my viewpoint.


[The clock strikes eleven.]


FAUSTUS-

O Faustus,
The wonderful flower of a wonderful genealogical tree- a tree that inspires a man to seek more!
Now hast thou only one full hour left to live
And then thou will set an illustration
Of a life of a mortal being!

(Addressing audience)

Stand still you ever-moving brains of men,
That time may cease thy capacity
And thy humanity shall never come to use;
O fair real products,
Awake, awake again, and make
Vanity- a vanity to stand still
Against narrow conceptions of religion;
Or let this hour be but
A half-hour, a minute, a second, or a microsecond,
That Faustus may never ever repent but
Immortalize his soul with the purest atheism!
O Lente, lente
Let me insulate my thoughts
Unto thy minds, shall it be nurtured with pure confidence
And with my insulated concepts!

The death will come and Faustus must take leave
In order to high-five with Old Lucifer-
With confidence in my rationality and intelligence.
See, see, how I was tortured about God/ Christ!
The blood of him flowing in the sky! (ridicules)
Even the huge vessel of his blood cannot lure me,
But the rotten values of society surely will harm my soul;
Mountains and hills give me the way,
So I can climb and announce that no God exists in the world.
So I can make aware these human beings that
They have superior mental powers to challenge the absurd notion.
 Or they will succumb in their mournings of Omnipresent!
I suggest them to study, to study more;
To oust blind faith and mysticism no more!

[The clock strikes the half hour]

O, half the hour past!
‘twill all be past anon.
O, my soul must give regards to that Bakunin, Marx. Lenin and Trotsky
For their beliefs all in themselves.
O friend Mephistophilis!
Soon this cynosure of million eyes
Will sacrifice his life no regression
After all, these glorious four  and a twenty years
Were like a world of profit and delight
With a heart full of emotion and sympathy;
I still utter “I shall not be hanged”
Yes, Faustus, face reality, summon Lucifer
That had provided these delicacies of the world.

[The clock strikes twelve]

It strikes, it strikes!
Now the world shall know of
The martyr who had triumphed over the idea of death!






2 Comments

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post